Sunday, June 24, 2012

KINDNESS AND UNDERSTANDING


I think every parent wants to teach their children the essence of kindness but how we go about it is the hard part. How do we help each other without minimizing the other person's reality and pain? How do we help someone without having the savior mentality? How do I teach Isadora to be there and present for those that are her family (blood or not)? How do I teach her that kindness starts by being good to ourselves? By example.

By being Latina and a woman the messages my daughter will receive from the outside world will tell her that she is not good enough, strong enough. That she needs to be helped and saved and when she proves them wrong she will be called an exception.  She will be called at risk, minority and who knows what else. However, I know that despite all the dirt she hears she will be strong and accomplish everything she wants. How I know this? Because she will constantly hear one main message loud and clear. MINE!

Since my baby was born I have made it my goal to stress 3 main values/messages in her life:
  • Be Kind! Especially when is hard.
  • You are worth it! You are loved and no matter what we will always be there for you.
  • Reach for the stars! You can do whatever you set your mind to.
I can only hope that my voice is loud enough during tough times and that I have lived my life by the same principles so is always good to put them in writing. This way I will never forget what is important and how to get there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment